Tutor Payment Policies
The ineedatutor.ca Team
March 19, 2021 13:48
By registering to be listed as a tutor on ineedatutor.ca ("the website," "website," "ineedatutor.ca"), you (“tutor”) agree that the following terms and conditions will govern all payments made to you by students through the ineedatutor.ca system.
Conditions for guaranteeing receipt of payment for student lessons
ineedatutor.ca is a marketplace for those seeking tutoring services to connect with those seeking to provide tutoring services. ineedatutor.ca also provides a service to its users whereby payments will be distributed to tutors that originate from their students. ineedatutor.ca offers tutors a layer of protection in the collection of their funds but, if any of the following conditions are not met and ineedatutor.ca becomes unable to collect your payment from the parent, student, or other type of account-holder (collectively, "student") to whom you gave a lesson, ineedatutor.ca cannot guarantee that your payment will be successfully collected, processed and distributed to you:
- a) The information pertaining to the lesson is accurate. This includes the start and end time, duration, subject and student account name. Unless otherwise agreed to by the tutor and student, the start and end time will be considered to be the times of the actual tutoring lesson, not arrival and departure times to and from the tutoring location.
- b) Prior to each lesson being given, the student has on file with ineedatutor.ca a valid form of payment. This includes a valid credit/debit card. The tutor can view the status of the student's payment information through the tutor's ineedatutor.ca account. The requirement to verify payment information must be followed for continuing students as well as new students.
- c) The lesson is delivered in-person at a mutually agreed upon location or through the ineedatutor.ca online tool. If the lesson is delivered remotely through another medium, such as via the internet, email, telephone or Skype, or in the instance when the tutor does proofreading or other asynchronous, non-tutoring work with the student, the tutor must obtain written confirmation from the student that acknowledges the nature of the work to be done and the expectations of the time and cost required to complete the work.
- d) The tutor's services are instructive and constitute learning, not cheating. More specifically, the tutor is not to complete assignments, write papers, take quizzes or otherwise do work on the student's behalf. Further, the services that the tutor offers must not violate the academic honesty policy or other conduct policies of the student's school, university, academic institution or workplace.
- f) Prior to a lesson being given, the tutor has received a ineedatutor.ca subject approval for the specific subject area of the lesson.
- g) The tutor does not collect or request payment directly from the student by cash, check or otherwise, for the lesson.
- h) For cancellation fees assessed to a student, the cancellation penalty is consistent with the cancellation policy explained directly to the student via messaging prior to the occurrence of the cancellation and also, where applicable, is consistent with the public display on the tutor’s profile.
- i) The tutor is over 18 years old and is eligible to work in Canada.
Timing and delivery of payments
If all the Conditions for guaranteeing receipt of payment for student lessons are met, tutors can expect to receive their funds according to the following schedule. If there are questions about any of the conditions, payments may be delayed while ineedatutor.ca attempts to resolve the questions.
- a) Tutors using the ineedatutor.ca platform will receive their student payment by Direct Deposit. After a tutor enters accurate bank account and routing numbers, funds will be released to the tutor's bank.
- b) For a tutor who is eligible, the funds will be released to the tutor's bank account five (7) days after the lesson submission. If the seventh day is a Saturday, Sunday, or Bank Holiday, the student payment will be released the next business day. The time between when the funds are released by ineedatutor.ca and made available to the tutor by the tutor's bank will vary and is controlled by the tutor's bank, not by ineedatutor.ca. If a tutor's direct deposit is returned to ineedatutor.ca by the tutor's bank, Ineedatutor.ca will request that the tutor correct the tutor’s bank information. The returned funds will be resent within five (7) days after the bank information is corrected.
Social Insurance Number requirement
- a) Prior to payments made in an amount of greater than $50, cumulatively, tutors must submit to ineedatutor.ca a valid Social Insurance Number ("SIN"). Such payments will be withheld by ineedatutor.ca until the SIN is received, and the payments will be released with the next scheduled payment. (Although the burden to report income and meet other federal/provincial-level reporting requirement is technically on the student who is hiring and retaining you, ineedatutor.ca offers students this filing service as a benefit of using the ineedatutor.ca system. To complete these filings, ineedatutor.ca needs to have a valid SIN.
- b) Tutors may not use an Employer Identification Number ("EIN") issued by the Internal Revenue Service in place of a SSN for payment reporting purposes only. To use an EIN, a tutor must complete, sign and submit to ineedatutor.ca an IRS Form W-9.
Calculation of tutor payment amounts
- a) Tutors set their own hourly rate and may change it at any time. Changing the default hourly rate will affect students who email a tutor after the time the change is made. Students who have been in contact with a tutor within three months prior to the time the rate change is made will be continue to be subject to the hourly rate that was listed on the tutor's profile at the time they first contacted the tutor; in order to change the rate for one of these students, the student must acknowledge the rate change via a rate change request email.
- b) All tutors agree to a flat 12% Platform Fee. The 12% fee percentage will apply to lessons with all students. This means 88% of your submitted hourly rate will be distributed to you.
- c) Non-tutoring charges should be incorporated into the hourly rate. Travel, prep time or other expenses that you wish to defray to the customer must first be agreed to by the student. The mechanism to assess these charges is to adjust your hourly rate. All costs associated with tutoring students who retain you through the ineedatutor.ca platform, must go through the site.